How To Apply & Remove A Hair Topper
Hair toppers are small wig-style hair pieces that add natural-looking volume to your hair, making them a favorite for those with thinning hair, hair loss or bald spots. Wearing a hair topper can give you so much extra confidence, especially if you’re feeling insecure about your look. Once you’ve invested in a hair topper, the next step is learning how to apply and remove your hair topper correctly. It’s very important to apply your hair topper well, because if you do it wrong… it won’t look right. And more importantly, if your hair topper is not applied correctly, it can cause scalp sensitivity and even accelerate hair loss. If removed improperly, it can cause additional hair loss.
But don’t worry! We’re here to help you master the fine art of applying and removing your hair topper correctly and safely, so you get the most natural look possible and can enjoy all the benefits of your new hair piece. Read on to feel empowered the next time you put on a hair topper.
How to Apply a Hair Topper:
Step 1: Identify the type of hair topper you have! The way you begin applying your hair topper depends on the style of hair topper — applying a lace front hair topper is slightly different than applying a hair topper without a lace front. Furthermore, if you plan on also wearing bangs (a fringe) with your hair topper, that will impact how you apply.
- To apply a lace front hair topper, place the lace front hair topper where your natural hairline should start.
- If your hair topper does not have a lace front, but you will be wearing a fringe (or bangs), place the hair topper where your natural hair line should start.
- If your topper does not have a lace front and you will not be wearing a fringe (or bangs), place the hair topper 1-2” (approximately two fingers width) back from your natural hairline and blend your natural hair in with the hair topper
Step 2: Check your placement! For all hair toppers, you need to ensure that you’ve placed the hair topper over the measured area of hair loss, including the natural hair around the affected area. For the most accurate placement possible, it’s essential to check your work in the mirror.
Step 3: Secure the front clip! Your hair topper can be secured by scooping a small amount of natural hair into the front clip and then pressing the pressure-sensitive clip down.
Step 4: Secure all clips! Smooth down the top of the hair topper by placing your hand on top of the base as you secure the next clip, keeping the base flat and taught against your head. Repeat this step until you have secured all clips.
Warning: Do NOT pull on the hair topper when applying. The hair topper should be taut against the scalp — but not tight — for the most natural look. If the hair topper is pulling your hair or causing discomfort, unclip the hair topper in that spot and adjust it until it feels comfortable.
Step 5: Perfect your look! Blend your hair topper with biological hair and style as desired.
- If there is no hair present (or not enough) where the hair topper has a pressure-sensitive clip, you can remove the clip and use an adhesive such as Walker Tape.
- We carry ready-to-wear, lace-front hair toppers — but if you want additional security, we recommend Walker Blue Tape For Lace Front.
- If you prefer a clip to be positioned in another location on the hair topper, carefully remove the clip and sew it in the preferred placement. But be careful not to puncture your topper!
How to Properly Remove a Hair Topper:
Step 1: Unclip all clips except the front clip! Open all pressure-sensitive clips by “un-scooping” your natural hair from the clips. We recommend unclipping your hair toppers slowly to prevent pulling hair and causing hair loss.
Repeat this step with each clip until the topper is fully disengaged with your natural hair.
Step 2: Unclip the front clip! Once all clips are open, you’re ready to tackle the front clip. Slowly pull the clip up while removing it from your biological hair and “peeling” the topper from the front to the back.
Step 2: Store your hair topper properly! Place your hair topper on a Wire Wig Stand or an Acrylic Wig Stand; when you are not wearing it, allow the topper to breathe and air out while maintaining its shape.
We hope this helped you learn how to properly apply and remove a hair topper, whether or not it’s a lace front hair topper. Be sure to bookmark this page so you can refer to it as a resource anytime you need a reminder of the best way to apply, remove and store your hair topper.